Basically what Allie said here. Not that I can resist adding my own
two cents...

IMNSHO scanning outgoing email is a useless function.

Here's the reasoning:

1. If your virus scanner is doing its job (and you have it enabled to
check incoming emails as well as doing realtime checking when you
insert a floppy or some such action) then your system won't contract a
virus. The Bat! also prevents you from doing some stupid things that
might endanger your system.

2. Your virus checker should be checking your system in real time to
ensure that there isn't a virus in memory. If you're not running your
system with a virus hiding in memory somewhere, then your outgoing
mail won't be infected any more than the files you save onto your hard
disk.

3. If there *is* a virus in your system's memory that your virus
checker hasn't caught (because it's not in its current virus
definitions table) then it won't catch it when you send out emails,
either.

That said, I run NOD32 on my server and Norton on my client systems
just to be doubly safe (with outgoing email checks turned off). NOD32
has caught several parasites coming in on emails and nothing has
penetrated as far as the NAV checks, but one can never be too
paranoid.

-Mark Wieder

 Using The Bat! v1.63 Beta/4 on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2