Hi Robert,

RS> Hello Mike,

RS> Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 9:16:06 PM, you wrote:

<snipped>

First I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't broadcast my address to all and
every spammer who trawls through the web site but showing the header
info in a reply. Please turn off RFC-882 headers before replying.
Thank you.

MA>> Now that is really weird. My Norton just deals with it. (you know,
MA>> it downloads it deals with it and leaves a text message saying it's
MA>> done so).  Is your Norton AV up to date?

RS> Definition  wise  yes but. I have AV 2000 on this machine and it seems
RS> to  deal  strangely  with this virus. It stores temp files on disk and
RS> that  trigger AV pop ups to annoying extremes as 100s of popups happen
RS> as  part  of  the folder filter process. Nothing is infected but it is
RS> annoying. I imagine any virus embeded email is safe with the_bat

I think that's your problem. I'm using 2002 and it's having no
problems at all. Upgrade from 2000 and I'm sure your problems will
disappear. It's not as if the upgrade costs a lot (I upgrade very
other year).

RS> Also if you know of any substitute SMTP programs I might use to filter
RS> out  such viruses or worm as in this case! My ultimate solution was to
RS> turn  off  auto  protect  and  receive the mail then I looked for .pif
RS> attachments and found one with subject:  Re: Documents

RS> I  then  both  tried the removal to verify no infection took place and
RS> sure enough none occurred. I then truned back on auto-protect.

Like I said, upgrading to a more modern version should solve your
problem and be cheaper and ;less complicated than adding more
software.

 Mike