* Thomas Fernandez writes:

>                      The IP address is crucial for entering a computer.
> A dial-up user, who isn't online very long and gets dynamic IP
> adresses, is therefore less interesting.

You could see it just the other way: dial-up users are people with a
poorly configured OS', many of them don't even know what a Service
Pack or Security Update is.

It is not important for how long one is online. It needs seconds to
implant malware (maybe a remote control tool, communicating via IRC
and disabling a desktop firewall) through the well known security
holes of an unpatched system.

And voila: we have a new spam server, warez server, ...

And this is NOT a Windows problem. So keep your systems secure by
installing security patches! And learn how IP works.

>                                            I now think this was
> Carsten's point when he mentioned dial-up. I thought he meant the way
> of connection.

No, it wasn't. For me security is binary. Either a system is secure
to a given scenario or it is not. It should not matter if one system
is more likely to get »attacked« than the other.
--
Carsten