> I would create an Incoming filter that is triggered by a "secret code"
> (string) in the subject line. When you send a message with that code
> to the account TB is checking, an automated message will be sent to
> the account that you check while on the road. This way, you can check
> wehther TB is running as often as you like.

  Funny! I have made such a system to use with my TB. I send my requests
  from any web-browser - these are my commands:

> MAIL RELAY:
> COMPOSE MESSAGES:
> Compose a munged message
> READ MAIL:
> Webread
> MANAGE SIGNATURES:
> Retrieve | Update
> MANAGE RELAY LOG:
> Retrieve relayed addresses
>
> MAILING LIST:
> GENERAL MANAGEMENT:
> Send a listadministrator's notification
> Resume list | Put list On Hold
> Create a list
> EDIT LIST INFORMATION:
> Retrieve | Update | Send
> EDIT LIST CONFIGURATION:
> Retrieve | Update
> EDIT DIGEST:
> Retrieve | Update | Create
> EDIT DIGEST CONFIGURATION:
> Retrieve | Update
> EDIT BANNER FILES:
> Retrieve | Update
> MANAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS:
> Check subscription status
> Subscribe | Unsubscribe
> Enable posting | Disable posting
> Reactivate | Moderate
> Approved a moderated message
> Reinstate | Ban
> Back-In-Office | Out-Of-Office
> MANAGE SUBJECT BLOCK:
> Retrieve | Unblock | Block
>
> JUNKSHIELD:
> GENERAL MANAGEMENT:
> Reboot | Abort Reboot | Lock | Ping
> SYMANTEC LIVEUPDATE:
> Retrieve Status | Update
> RELAY LOGS:
> Retrieve | Prune
>
> MISCELLANEOUS:
> MANAGE FILES:
> Retrieve folder summary
> Retrieve account files
> Forward local files by mail
> HANDLING OF BANNED MAIL:
> Retrieve | Prune | Process mail

  As you see, from any web-browser I can send a mail and have it look as
  if it is coming from the local machine ("Compose a munged message");
  there is a full mailinglists management; I can reboot the PC, Lock the
  console - and also Ping (which is equivalent to your "Check TB" thing),
  I can choose not to trust Symantec Liveupdate by forcing an Update of
  the virus definitions, and my Misc section provides file retrievement.

  My TB is set to check mail every 15 seconds. I have a system going on
  with filters that take care of spam-filtering (SpamCop, Spamassassin,
  and my own JunkShield). When "on tour" I can chosse to only read the
  real mail - no annoying spam! Also, these filters forward to me any mail
  that is relevant to me as a mailinglist administrator (ie. requests and
  member submissions), but mail from mailinglists that I just follow I can
  choose to have it downloaded and sort into local mailboxes for archiving
  locally, but not forwarded to my webaccess account.

  I must admit I am very satisfied with my system, alas, I did not think of
  it as a commercial product when I started out designing it. So it is not
  very likely I will offer the system - it is too much a personal system
  now.

  It is one hell of a satisfaction being able to sit in anywhere (Denmark
  and Ghana mostly) and administrate my TB-mail and mailinglists from an
  internet café.

  The system I have made could probably have been made with the help of a
  Hotmail-account and by setting up the lists at Yahoogroups - but I enjoy
  owning my own property, thank you! :)) And half of the reason why I made
  this system is just that it is FUN! :)

--
  St