Hello Paul,

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:27:31 -0500 GMT (27/10/2003, 00:27 +0700 GMT),
Paul Cartwright wrote:

>>> below this window is the preview window that has FROM:, To: and subject.
>>> WAY off to the right is an icon, and when I put my cursor over it it
>>> says "Verify OpenPGP Signature". It has a questionmark and a paperclip
>>> icon. Does the questionmark mean it doesn't recognize your signature?

TF>> No, it means you have to verify the signature to check whether it is
TF>> valid.

> what, so what does the check mark mean in the envelope? to make SURE it
> hasn't been tampered with I need to hit the question mark and test it??

No, it just means the message has been signed. In order to check
whether it has been tampered with, you will have to check the
signature every time you open the message.

> right, sure, I'll do that every time I open the message.... I DON'T
> THINK SO<G> I'll settle for the envelope check mark..

Me neither. If I want to check whether the signature is valid (i.e.
the message hasn't been tampered with) I do it when I first open it,
but not each time. My choice.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be "What is
Hell?" Come early and listen to the choir practice.

under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using a Pentium P4 1.7 GHz, 128MB RAM