Hi Peter,

On Saturday, November 08, 2003, at 5:15:11 PM PST, you wrote:

> Hence, do not hard-wrap lines. Let the end-user decide what s/he
> likes.

<snip>

> In HTML-lingo it's called liquid design. Wrapping adjusts to the end
> users' browser width.

Thankfully, I can, as I prefer to, deal with email in plain
text...both outgoing and incoming. Therefore, HTML/Browser conventions
don't interest me much when dealing with email.

Furthermore, I respect the idea that when someone sends me an email, I
should see it as *they* composed/intended it. There are often reasons
why someone will choose to send an email with certain formatting, and
that's how I want to see it (yes, even in the rare cases when someone
really wants to send me an HTML formatted message for some reason
other than simply being oblivious to alternatives). Naturally, I also
might hope that the sender's idea of an "easy to read" message is
something that I can appreciate. In any event, I want to see what the
*sender's intent* was. So...

I have my viewing windows sized in such a way to accommodate what I
usually encounter...

My preview pane is about 95 characters wide (10 pt Courier New
font)...and this accommodates most *well-formatted* (in my opinion)
plain text just fine for most reading purposes. It is also a
comfortable preview pane size for me relative to my preferences with
regards to the folder tree and the message index that surround it in
my full screen view. I'm using a 17 inch monitor with a resolution of
1024x768.

Now...my *Folder View* window is set to fill the entire screen width
and height (about 140+ characters wide considering my preferred
display font size), so that if I ever do encounter a message with
formatting that doesn't comfortably fit into the preview pane, I can
open up the wider folder view. If an "HTML liquid style" message is
viewed in the folder view, I'm looking at 140+ character line lengths!
That's simply absurd...and it's not convenient for me to have a
smaller folder view just to make such a message wrap to a more
"reasonable" length for reading comfort.

> See above. It will be up to you to set your preferences. What else
> can you wish for?

My preference is to see what a sender wishes me to see. Unfortunately,
that sometimes means that I'm looking at what I consider to be either
"sloppy" or "unreasonable" formatting. Either way, regardless of *my*
preferences, I want to see what someone wants to present to me,
whatever that means *to them*.

In conclusion: If you want to send unwrapped lines to me ("liquid" as
you call it), you're not doing *me* any favors, so from my point of
view, you're not respecting *my* preferences. :-)

--
Melissa

PGP public keys:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&Body=Please%20send%20keys

TB! v2.01.3 on Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1