Hi John,

> I wonder if TB can ever cause (or be related
> to some other software that causes) recurrent BSODs
> (Blue Screen of Deaths).  It seems to cause BSODs here.

I had that happen recently on both Win2K and WinXP (I have a triple
boot system, with Fedora Core 1 also).  Resolution below.

<snipped>

> Microsoft talks a reference in a Microsoft document about some
> `system software' occasionally causing this error.

Microsoft's so helpful. :)

> But it's hard to believe it's hardware itself.  I've been running
> happily on the same hardware configuration for 3 years.  Also
> I've desperately replaced boards, checked disk & memory over
> and over anyway - no fix.

Have you checked for BIOS updates for your mobo?  Driver updates for
your NIC? I'm sure you have, but just checking in case. :)

My problem turned out to be a bad stick of RAM. My RAM was fine during
the normal boot-up system check and even worked fine when I
moved/swapped the sticks around, but I never thought to "stress test"
each individual stick. I'd just boot up and determine that it was
okay.

I finally found it when I ran the DocMemory memory testing software.
It's currently free and performs a series of tests on the memory. The
stick of RAM that was bad passed preliminary tests but failed the more
complex ones.

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp

I removed the stick and no more BSODs.

> MY internet is a bit more flakey on W2K than Linux also,
> but I did change the NIC from a board to an in-built SuperMicro
> NIC, using a different driver.

I agree with Allie's reasoning on the issue - TB!'s just bringing to
light an issue with something else.

--
Regards,
Terry

Using The Bat! v2.01.3 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1