On Saturday, March 06, 2004, Paul Cartwright wrote...

> I went back and looked at one of my old emails ( from today) and it
> shopwed this line:
>         by comcast.net (rwcrmhc11) with ESMTP id <20040306114058013002epcfe>

> now, I use Mercury32, and the 192 IP is from my router. My ISP is
> Comcast, so I don't understand where the attbi comes in.

Comcast brought out the AT&T cable internet a while back. I guess
they've not updated DNS for your area.

> I had nothing in that box-DNS suffix for this connection- so I added
> comcast.net. Lets see if it makes a difference.

It shouldn't really matter. DHCP should be assigning it for you. The
DNS suffix line just appends that to the end of all queries that you
make requests for on failure. For example if you have it set to
sbc.com, and you type in www in your browser, the DNS resolver will do
a lookup for www, and fail... then append .sbc.com on the end, and
find a match. This can be a little annoying in some places, for
example if you have a DNS domain setup with a * in the file for
wildcard matches (anybody remember the . You'll end up matching typo's
and redirecting them too, like www.mns.com instead of www.msn.com. For
me if I were to use the dns suffix of netdork.net and use one of my
DNS servers, it'd match my IP, because it'd result in
www.mns.com.netdork.net.

--
Jonathan Angliss
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Aibohphobia, n. -- the fear of palindromes.