Thanks to everybody who answered my mail yesterday and welcomed me to the list.

Unfortunately, nobody seems to have any solution to my major problem: that The Bat is
busy working with something for ca 15 minutes every morning before it downloads my
mails. As I said, I've unchecked the virus and spam check functions and none of my
other e-mail clients have ever behaved  this strange way, so I'm completely at a loss.
Of course I have a firewall and a virus program but why would they only interfere with
the Bat and not with the other mail programs? I forgot to mention that the Bat is only
checking one single e-mail account, not many at the same time.

> It's impossible to start a new line by pressing Enter.

>Yes, that's the way I do it. ;-)
>  Options -> Preferences -> Editor prefrences -> uncheck 'Autoformat'

I used to have Autoformat unchecked at the beginning, but when I had written an e-mail
and afterwards added something in it, the line kept going on to the right for the
whole paragraph, till I pressed Enter. This made me desperate, and I was so happy when
I found the Autoformat function which stopped this. Does this mean I have to choose
between either no word-wrapping or being able to press Enter for a new line (or toggle
between them) - isn't it possible to have both at the same time?

I find the Bat great in many ways, but 15 minutes expensive online time to download a
few mails is in the long run intolerable, I'm afraid. :-(

Britt