ETM wrote:

I do not understand IMAP and so am at a decided disadvantage
right now.

You're now leaving and sorting mail on the IMAP server. You download locally what you need with the option to or not to cache what you've downloaded. The advantage of this arrangement is that you can fireup an IMAP client on another machine, or another IMAP client on the same machine and when you connect, things are exactly as you left them. Everything you read is marked as read. All that you replied to are marked as replied. What you sent using the other IMAP client is in the sent folder that you see in the other IMAP client. If you have to manage your mail from multiple machines then, IMAP is ideal for you.

I like TB! and want to use it while considering
a trial AOL subscription.  I would not, under any
circumstances, consider AOL if I had to use its mail
program.

I can well imagine. :)

I have been successful in setting up IMAP in Outlook
Express.  I have been successful in setting up TB! for
downloading AOL,

Downloading or checking what's on the server. The paradigm changes with IMAP. In order to see what's on the server, you do retrieve copies of what's there. However, what's on the server remains on the server, unless you expressely delete then expunge (the same as compress on TB! terms <g>).

but I am unable to send from TB!.  However,
I have absolutely no problem sending AOL from Outlook
Express.  What is it in the settings that I am doing wrong
when attempting to set up TB! for AOL IMAP?

Sending messages occurs in the same way as with POP since you use the same SMTP servers for sending. However, IMAP comes in the picture with sending if you keep your 'Sent' folder on the server. You also have the option of keeping your 'Sent' folder locally. The latter isn't so good since I'm sure you'll wish to have access to the messages that you've sent no matter where you are. If your 'Sent' folder is on the IMAP server then each time you send a message, a copy is sent to and stored in the IMAP accounts 'Sent' folder.

The same applies to the 'Outbox'. You have the option of your 'Outbox' being local or on the server. I keep my 'Outbox' local since the last time I tried keep it on the server, I had problems sending messages. This may be the situation with you. The only advantage to having your 'Outbox' on the IMAP server is if you wish to complete a message you were composing on another machine at another location. So you save it as a draft and it will be in the Outbox when you open your IMAP client on the other machine. I hardly ever need that and therefore have no problem just not doing it especially if I know a server side 'Outbox' is a problem for TB!.

To change whether or not your 'Sent', 'Outbox' and 'Trash' folders is local or server side, go into the account properties, and select the 'Mail Management' panel. You'll see a section labelled 'For predefined folders, use these IMAP mailboxes'. Once you enable the switches to the left, this means that you've chosen to keep those folders server side. If you wish to keep them local then disable the switch to the left. Try sending with a local 'Outbox' by untoggling the switch to the left. Hit Ok, then exit and restart TB! (you really shouldn't have to do the exit and restart but sometimes you have to do this for the folder tree to appropriately make the changes).

Try sending again and tell us how it goes.

And, do I lose the ability to use TB! filtering and folders
in the IMAP account?

Yes and no.

Incoming message auto-filtering doesn't work. However, all the other filtering works, i.e., manual, read, replied and outgoing message filtering. Incoming message auto-filtering is now being worked on.

--
-=[ Allie ]=- (List Moderator and fellow end-user)

PGPKeys: http://key.ac-martin.com
Running ThunderBird v0.6 on XP Pro SP1