Ian A. White wrote:

Really, anything that is not supposed to be displayed as normal text should have some lead-in and lead-out character sequences to make
sure that it cannot be misinterpreted. I suppose this is a case of something evolving without too much thought.

It would seem that in the context of live online chats, it's unlikely that one will type something ambiguous and this is probably why these raw text representations have survived.

A good example is the list:

(A) Good

(B) Bad

(C) Ugly

Not many in a chat setting will prepare such a list, so the problem with
the coffee and the beer cups appearing when then shouldn't, doesn't arise.

However, with e-mail, these misinterpretations are occurring a lot
easier. A classic example of how one implementation doesn't work as well
in another setting.

Now maybe those who do not want controls will see the need for there
to be some sort of formal way of doing things. Without protocols we
get what we are seeing.

Agreed.

--
-=[ Allie ]=- (List Moderator and fellow end-user)

PGPKeys: http://key.ac-martin.com
Running ThunderBird v0.6 on XP Pro SP1