Hello Charles!

On Thursday, June 10, 2004, 1:53 AM, you wrote:

MW>>> Now I think the problem _must_ be with your TB! installation. The only
MW>>> thing I can suggest now is to reinstall TB! over the top of your current
MW>>> set up. This won't modify any of your settings (filters, colour groups
MW>>> etc.) but may replace something that's gone awry.

<snip>

nc> Just to let you know that I'm having the same problem. You are not
nc> alone :).

Let's try to figure it out, then! :) Thanks for writing! Further
information on what's happening here:

Last night I re-downloaded v. 2.11.02 and used the second download to
re-install The Bat! That did not help. The icons still did not
respond.

My cousin, who uses a Mac machine, had sent me 2 scans of old marriage
certificates and 4 scans of old family photos as 6 separate
attachments to 6 separate messages. She scanned them as .tif format
and converted to .jpg before sending. Those attachments still will not
open unless saved to Desktop and all attachments--whether MS Word
Documents or jpeg images--I had received prior to her sending the 6
attachments will also still not open.

Last night my sister, whose OS is Win98SE, sent me a scanned document
as a .jpg image. It opens quite normally with a double-click on the
icon or a select of the right-click menu choice "Open."

This morning I find 2 more messages from my sister with scanned
documents attached, 1) as .jpg image and 2) as MS Word Document
attachment. These also open normally. She sent those at 4:30 a.m. my
time and I have just asked her to send me a photo as a .jpg image to
completely confirm that all attachments open normally that have been
sent subsequent to the Mac attachments disaster. I'll have to wait
until she checks her mail again for that.

My settings are all the same both as I check the prior-to-the-Mac-
messages and those subsequent to the Mac: the default TB! Protection
fields (I erased those fields as an experiment, but it did not help,
so I put them back, having saved them in SmartBat notepad) are in
place. And I am using TB!'s internal viewer.

But changing to the external viewer does not change the behavior of
the non-responding icons. They just sit there and do nothing when
double-clicked or requested to open. No dialogue window, nothing. So I
put the setting back to internal viewer, which I prefer because I
think that is safer.

My suspicion is that something in the transmission from the Macintosh
machine corrupted all my saved attachments. But I'm not
technologically knowledgeable enough to know whether that is a
feasible theory.

I should add for clarity, what I put in my original query: This all
began while I was still using TB! v. 2.00.6. I downloaded v. 2.11.02
hoping to cure the problem. That, of course, did not help, except that
I can now see smileys at will. <g> Nor does reverting XP Home to an
earlier restore point fix the non-responding icons.

Last night I did a complete deep scan with my anti-virus program
F-Secure and it came up clean. Also, I did a complete deep scan with
my anti-trojan program TDS-3 and no trojans or suspicious files were
found. I did this just in case my cousin had inadvertently sent me
some malware. Also, I scanned with another anti-trojan program, Trojan
Remover, which scan found no malware. AdAware 6.0 also says my machine
is clean.

So that's all my latest info. What do you think?

Mary

The Bat! 2.11.02 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 1