Hello Allie,

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:18:24 -0500 GMT (03/09/2004, 09:18 +0700 GMT),
Allie Martin wrote:

>> My repeated suggestions for a single filter type that can be used
>> for Incoming or Outgoing *or both* (by way of tickmarks) has not
>> been addressed in the new version. I therefore see no reason to
>> upgrade.

AM> I guess you filter on strings other than addresses because if you wish
AM> to use the filter for outgoing and incoming so that messages you reply
AM> to are placed in the source folder, then for each filter you'd have to
AM> switch the string search source from sender to recipient, wouldn't
AM> you?

Erm, no. I filter on addresses. If a PM comes in from you, for
example, an Incoming filter will move it to the folder "Bat People".
If I reply to you, I have to have a seperate Outgoing filter so that
my sent message will be moved the the same folder.

You are not the only one who gets filtered there. Whenever I start a
PM conversation with another list member, another Alternative is
added. And this is where I would just want to update in one place.

About the source: All my Incoming filters filter from the Inbox, all
Outgoing from the Sent folder. Why would you use another source?
(Talking about POP3.)

>> Can anybody enlighten me about the advantages of the NFS?

Allie, thanks for this comprehensive list. I saw bits and pieces on
TBBETA, everything you say below was probably mentioned in one thread
or another, but you have put it nicely together, much easier to
consider.

AM> - from the same panel you can access the filters for all accounts.
AM>   This is similar to how the quick templates panel works. We now need
AM>   the same thing for the Account configuration panel.

I have never felt the need for this, but there are several features in
TB that I initially never felt the need for but now wouldn't want to
miss. However, the QTs give me trouble, because I always just create
them in one account and make them available for sharing, and if I want
to edit them later, I have to look through all accounts to find the
one. Maybe I should use a more organised approach, though.

AM> - the filter setup layout is a lot nicer so that you now have a much
AM>   better visual appreciation of the creation and building of filter
AM>   string matching as well as how and in what order actions are applied.

I'll have to take your word for it. Haven't checked the RIT page for
screenshots yet.

AM> - Incoming IMAP filters,

I don't use IMAP.

AM> - common filters are now supported. Here, you can create a filter that
AM>   is applied potentially across all accounts or applied in particular
AM>   accounts defined. Anti-spam filters would go well here.

I don't use anti-spam plugins, but I can imagine a use for common
filters. Like people sending message to different accounts of mine,
but being filtered into the same folder in one account.

AM> - sub-filters are now supported.

Another thing I haven't seen a need for but will let my imagination
play with it.

AM> That about sums it all up. The choice is now yours. To upgrade or not
AM> to upgrade. :)

Yeah <sigh>. Decisions, decisions.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Wer im Steinhaus sitzt, soll nicht mit Glaesern werfen.

under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A