Dear Mary,

@3-Sep-2004, 11:07 -0500 (03-Sep 17:07 UK time) Mary Bull [MB] in
mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] said to Marck:

MDP>> It's actually a bit more than a caveat. It's a potential show
MDP>> stopper.
... <snip>

MB> Thanks, Marck. So I'm running an apparently pointless poll. (No
MB> pun on pointed-brackets intended.)

Lol - it looks that way from where I sit. The way < and > (chevrons)
are encoded in an HTML page or message is to represent them with &lt;
and &gt; respectively. This also renders them incompatible with the
goal of using them as smilie delimiters.

... <snip>

MB> What about Andre's suggestion of * * ? As I just wrote to him, that
MB> would interfere with a convention of using enclosure in asterisks to
MB> indicate emphasis.

That was my immediate reaction too. I have a feeling that Andre was
being a little tongue-in-cheek there :-) .

MB> But I want to do what best pleases both those who use the Smileys
MB> feature and those who read the mails in PTV of the ones using
MB> them, if the two goals don't turn out to be mutually exclusive. :)

You know, I'm actually getting the impression that the colons are
already a pretty clear and effective way to indicate them. And by
using sensible handles, :grin: still looks reasonable as 'grin'
wrapped in colons - the intent preserved, whatever the viewer.

--
Cheers --  //.arck  D Pearlstone --List moderator and fellow end user
TB! v3.0 on Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2