On Friday, December 24, 2004 at 8:39:03 AM [GMT -0500], Alexander S.
Kunz wrote:

> I just hate it that *google* earns money by scanning *my* mails and
> showing text relevant ads to the recipient (if he/she uses the web
> interface and not POP3, ok, noticed...). Someone out there is
> earning money from a mail I wrote to someone else. Isn't that
> totally sick?

This isn't making much sense.

I pay my ISP so that I can get Internet connectivity to view your
messages. They make money off doing that. My agreement to pay my ISP
has nothing to do with you sending your message.

OK. So I wish to use an e-mail service at no charge in cash. I pay in
kind, i.e., tolerating ads if I use a web interface as well as the
privacy issues of having my mail scanned. So there's an agreement
there just as my agreement to pay my ISP money.

I don't see the difference from a money-making POV. Yahoogroups is an
ad driven service that is offered at no cash cost to users. Yahoo
makes money off the messages you send to TBOT. <shrug>

If there's a security issue .. fine. However, being sick about the
money making part makes no sense from where I'm sitting.

--
Cheers,
 -= Allie =-