Hello Leif,

On 22 May 2005 at 14:21:37 GMT -0600 (which was 22:21:37 where I
live), Leif Gregory wrote and made these valuable points on the
subject of "OT: Re: Anonymous emails?":

> Hi Dick,

> On Sun, 22 May 2005, at 16:50:58 [GMT +0200] (which was 8:50 AM where
> I live) you wrote:
> If I'm browsing the
DH>> web, I'm using a tunnel (proxy server 127.0.0.1:8080) that totally
DH>> hides my identify (IP address) and that keeps no logs of what I'm
DH>> doing, where I've been, etc.

> I'm confused... 127.0.0.1 is your local machine. Which by the way is a
> non-routable address. So, your local machine still has to connect to
> the internet somewhere (ADSL / cable modem / dial-up) which means you
> are assigned an IP address by your ISP. Since you have to authenticate
> to your ISP they have records of which IP was assigned to you and what
> time / date. If you are not using an anonymizer service beyond that
> then every website you go to has the IP address assigned to you by
> your ISP.

> I'm not seeing where you're anonymous or hiding you IP.

Yes, the proxy address I've specified in my webbrowser is 127.0.0.1 as I'm
using a  secured and encrypted tunnel to an external server which is sometimes
in Germany, The Netherlands or the USA. By doing this, I can surf totally
anonymously, which IMHO, everybody is entitled to (and I even think should
always do). By doing this, my "web behaviour" is even invisible for my ISP as
they only see an encrypted tunnel to this external server. Recently I've read
some horror stories that ISPs are not very secure with your websurf
details..you probably don't know (and maybe you don't even want to know) what
they know about you..

Anyway, I also have a totally anonymous e-mail address you can absolutely not
figure out where it has been sent from other than the server, but the IP
address doesn't mean anything:

  by 10.0.2.100 with SMTP; 22 May 2005 21:18:49 -0000

So, whenever I need to send an anonymous e-mail, I'm going to use this address.

Thanks anyway for your time and answering my e-mails.

 Dick

Cannot open file "D:\Documents and Settings\Dick\Application
Data\tagzilla-en.txt"

Using The Bat! v3.5 on Windows XP 5.1 Build  2600 Service Pack 2

Privacy is your right...only if you defend it:
http://www.metropipe.net/landing.cgi?id=cloggy