Hello Chris,

Tuesday, May 9, 2006, 2:41:46 PM, you wrote:

> Roelof Otten @ 5/09/2006 11:54:52 AM
> "Best way to migrate to new pc"
> <mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> Of course there's the possibility to store the the .ini at documents
>> and settings, but to leave the rest free. But then you're foreced to
>> use thaty location and that doesn't have real advantages above being
>> forced to use the registry.

> It has some slight advantages:
> 1) If one file gets corrupted, on that program is messed up, not all
>    programs (unlike the registry)
> 2) Incremental backups are easier

> However, if I remember correctly, the registry can be slightly faster
> because some database-like optimizations are used.
  "slightly" can be told/felt by a gamer, how many FPS he can run, but
  not TheBat: it only needs once to load and occasional write when you
  make changes...
> I think what we need to get out of all these discussions is that The
> Bat! should backup all "user configurations" (window positions,
> colors, fonts, etc.) and data, but not the location to said data.
> Then, during a restore, the message base can be relocated easily and
> The Bat! will automatically create the necessary registry entries.
  Why? If it good for 1,2,20, does it means it good for me? No way.
  Developers have to recognize and offer a chance if not, that someone
  will move on and never look back. And here still the same re-install,
  replace folders, oh no,...I lost fonts/size/settings...

                    _/    /
PGP ID: 0x3110D3C1                           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]