Hello MikeD,

> When you miss that important email because it was sent from someone
> that was blacklisted incorrectly, I will remind you of those 600
> other messages and ask you which was more important, the one or the
> 600 <g>

And that'd be poor use of services like Spamhaus and DNSbls. They are
a tool, not the end-all-be-all. If someone is using these services as
a pass/fail, then they're doing it wrong. The right way is to add
"points" to a spaminess score. i.e. if an e-mail comes from an IP
listed on one of the services, it get's some points added, but if it
meets absolutely no other spam criteria, the points it received on the
DNSbl listing alone *should not* be enough to classify it as spam.

The whole issue about a U.S. court potentially "trying" to shut down
the Spamhaus domain wouldn't have been quite as catastrophic as they
tried to lead everyone to believe. Yes, there would have been problems
on mail servers where the mail server admin didn't have a clue and
Spamhaus was a pass/fail measure, but the big mail handlers (big ISP)
wouldn't have gotten nailed anywhere near as badly.

> I really hate it when my ISP decides to reject some email that
> *they* think is spam but is actually real and sometimes important. I
> currently have everything they offer disabled and rely on the
> plugin. That way I get all the messages.

I use Gmail and allow them to run their spam filters. However, I still
check the messages from time to time. So far Google hasn't made any
mistakes with my e-mail. Unlike Comcast who castrated *all* my e-mail
for basically four days in a row.

> Can you tell I don't like the black list model? <g>

It can work provided the e-mail admin really understands how to use
it. They are *not* a silver bullet. They are just one more tool in the
arsenal.

--
                          TBUDL/BETA/DEV/TECH Lists Moderator / PGP 0x5D167202
 __    ____  ____  ____   Geocaching:                    http://gps.PCWize.com

Stock news: Boeing earnings hit turbulence.