RA>>> Even better is to use
RA>>> Dear %Capital(%ABToFirstName="%ToFName")
RA>>> If the Address book first name is blank, it takes the first name from
RA>>> that address.

>> In my (2.12) templates I have:
>> Dear %Capital(%TOFNAME=+%if:"%ABToHandle"<>"":"%-
>> but do not know what it does!
>> I like the sound (explanation) of RA's template, and sometimes I am
>> puzzled as to how occasionally the way my emails get addressed seems
>> very counter-intuitive! Maybe I'd be better off adopting his.
>> Can anyone please explain to me (not remembering where it came from)
>> what my present template does?

RA> You don't seem to have quoted the entire part. The next line or
RA> perhaps more are required.

AH! Ok then, so that I may possibly better my template (perhaps
simplifying it to as RA suggests), the next line is:

Dear %Capital(%TOFNAME=+%if:"%ABToHandle"<>"":"%-
%if:'%ABToHandle'<>'%ABToFirstName':'%ABToHandle':'%ABToFirstName'":"%ABToFirstName"+)

Thank you so much.

--
Beautiful Butterfly Displays
http://FramedButterflyArt.com