Hello Roelof,

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:00:36 +0200 your time, you said:

[...snip...]

RO> Create an AB group 'filter contacts' and add those 45 people to it.

[...snip...]

RO> Now  you've  got  two  choices, either you want all of them moved to the
RO> same  folder  or you want to move each message to a folder matching your
RO> contact.

Yes, it was most definitely the latter option I was after.

RO> The first case is rather straightforward, the second case needs a macro.

Yeah, well, I thought as much; many addresses to one folder would have been
a doddle of course.

RO> I tested it with a single address [...snip...] I just used the Phone
RO> entry, because I don't use that and I wouldn't like folder names with
RO> email addresses, but YMMV.

Nor me. I'll give that a go though, and experiment, thankyou for you help.

RO> Of course you'll still need two filters for this to function properly,
RO> one incoming filter and one outgoing filter, note that you'd need
RO> something like %ABToPhone for the outgoing filter.

Yes, I thought as much. IOW it's still a PITA to set up, but 'needs must' as
the expression goes!

RO> And  before I forget it, you'll need to check 'create if necessary' with
RO> the move to action.

Okay.

RO> Also when you don't use something that you've been using in your address
RO> book  (like %ABFromPhone in stead of %ABFromName) you need to enter that
RO> field for all of the contacts you want to sort this way.

RO> Confused? Me too.

Surprisingly, I'm following everything. However, after setting that lot up I
doubt whether I'll be as chirpy ;-)

Really,  I  suppose  it boils down to cosmetics and preference at the end of
the day. I mean that organising particular contacts into a 'group' in AB and
filtering  against  the AB group will still mean just as much effort setting
up  as  creating indiviudal filters for each email address under the Sorting
Office. It's just that the filters list won't be as long if you do it the AB
way...and instinctively we like to group things.

Anyway, thanks for your help and I'll go away and playfor a while and then
decide which way I prefer :-)

--
Slán,

 SI{mon}