Hallo Leonard,

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 03:45:06 -0400GMT (26-8-2008, 9:45 +0200, where I
live), you wrote:

LB> Does one need to have TheBat Pro in order to check mail from Gmail?

No.

LB> I have tried, very carefully, several times to set up a new
LB> sub-account so that I can check my Gmail account without having to
LB> log onto Gmail directly. It does not work. I followed the
LB> instructions in the settings location at Gmail where there is
LB> support for TheBat Pro, and that is what I followed,

There's no difference in setup for TB home or pro.
Did you enable the pop3 module for gmail?

--
Groetjes, Roelof

Water floats a ship...Water sinks a ship.  Old Chinese Proverb
http://www.voormijalleen.nl/
The Bat! 4.0.28.4
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1
3 pop3 accounts
OTFE enabled
Quad Core 2.4GHz
4 GB RAM