4/20/2009

t> Do me a favour and winrar the 2 files properly,

You'd better define 'properly', if you want them done some particular
way :-)

This is an XP Pro system, btw ..

t> Keep an eye how long it takes to make and check a backup and what
t> sizes are in both cases as I would like to know if its worth doing!
t> If compacted files are much smaller and you have seen the size you
t> know likely what happens with one month of data. As said compress
t> them properly and watch security settings and then see how big it
t> becomes. Check they are all accessible

The first date on that smtp.log file was somewhere in 2006, I think -
not a typical period for a single logfile. The POPlog is over 3 *GIG*,
and though I'm pretty sure I can rar it, I'm not certain I can load it
into an editor. That's kind of a big file.

Anyway, fwiw, the smtp.log started out at 315,567kb, and rar'ed down to
159,975, that's with 'normal' compression. I haven't messed with
Winrar's config for a while, and it's probably not far off the defaults,
if any changes were made at all. Took about 45 minutes, give or take. Is
that any help?

t> After you have done the backup one time and its worth it,
t> consider buying a kingmax memory stick and run on there. Current last sticks
are
t> big enough to probably store at least a year of data.!! Obviously: watch
names!!
t> I  think  there  will be a significant reduction in file size... Note make
every
t> month  a  backup and store for that month!! One you start doing it you will
make
t> your own methods to save time! But remember ALWAYS make sure to have 1
untouched
t> copy  of  the  data!!!  And keep the month's separate as if you need the lot
you
t> likely havent got the disk-space to expand them!!

I still can't think why I'd need more than a month's worth of log,
really. On this particular occasion we needed about 8 hours worth, to
identify a server error, and that's the kind of thing I'm likely to need
it for I'd think.

Seriously, why would I need more?

tia,

Lynn

--
Lynn
:Hawthorne: :usflag: :canadaflag:

theli...@comcast.net         * * *    Aun Aprendo
I'd rather be WARP'ed    * * *      Team OS/2

TBv.4.1.11
NT5 SP4