John Posada wrote:
> Where did this 2-page standard come from, anyway? Is the person behind a 2
> page
> resume also automatically a more qualified writer than one with a 3 page
> resume?

Hi John,

It's not really the overall length of the resume that matters.  I think the
point is that you need to consider carefully the information that you include
about individual positions. Many hiring managers have a problem with lengthy
resumes because a lot of what's there is the same things repeated for each job
or too much meaningless detail (for example, do we need to know that someone
could type 40 wpm at a job back in 1993, 60 wpm at a job in 2000, and 75 wpm at
a current job?). If each of your jobs is unique and bears having a lot said
about it, as you indicated that your jobs were, then by all means do it. The
variety of jobs could sound wonderfully exciting and make you look
well-rounded. But if your jobs are similar and you present the same bulleted
list for each one, you're going to bore the readers and possibly get your
resume prematurely added to the round file.

As I wrote yesterday, when it got to where I was telling people that I "used
Adobe FrameMaker to produce PDF and printed manuals" for every job, it was time
to figure out a different way to present the information. By the time someone
read that for the third time, they'd probably be thinking, "Yes, I know. But
what else can you do?" Now I put less emphasis on the individual jobs and more
emphasis on my overall skills. My resume contains the same information, but
certain things are only there once instead of multiple times. I probably shaved
off a full page of repeated information.

Essentially, I treat my resume the same way that I would any other document or
manual that I write. When you're in our field, it's not just what you did/do
that matters. You also have to consider how you present your personal
information because it's a reflection on your skills. If your resume is lengthy
simply because you repeated too much or gave too much detail, it's going to
make it appear that you can't organize information or figure out when to quit.
If you have a short resume that doesn't include enough, it's going to appear
that you don't know how to analyze what your audience needs. However, if you
can strike a good balance between them, you're going to really impress someone
and maybe get that desired call for an interview.

Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be
legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review,
use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.