I've stayed out of this till now but...

Tom, the requirements you listed are really not requirements for what a tool
can do. They are requirements for how you will write your docs. And unless
I'm mistaken, so far, there isn't any tool out there that will actually
write the content for you.

So better questions that you should be asking and getting answered are:

1. Do you have existing content? Can the tool import that content?
2. Are you going to provide multiple output formats? If so, what type? PDF?
HTML Help? HTML pages (web site or help?).
3. Is this the only document you'll produce? If not, will you use the tool
to create user docs?
4. How many people will be working on this project?
5. Is this project a one-off or must it be maintainable? What about
expansion?

There's more, but you get the idea, yes?

If you are thinking of an online format (such as help or Web), pretty much
any help authoring tool will do what you want. If you also want to provide
PDFs, then your choices narrow somewhat. Framemake with an ADDITIONAL tool
allows for print and online. RoboHelp does online well and print less
easily. Ditto with Flare. AuthorIT does both well and allows for easier
reuse of content.

So my advice would be to narrow down the requirements of what you want the
TOOL to do, and then go and download evals of the top 3 or 5 tools. Check
out www.hat-matrix.com for a help authoring tool comparison. And then come
back and ask more specific info or tips/tricks for the tool you've selected.

(BTW, MadCap Flare is not necessarily "gaining" as much momentum as they
would have you think. They gained a lot of users off the bat because of the
RH-like interface and the special offers when it was that that RH was in the
stages of becoming a sunset app. Now that Adobe is actively developing
RoboHelp, some who may have been on the fence are going back to a known
tool. I know the guys at MadCap and they are great folks, but they are not
the market leader no matter how much they may think they are. And yes, I own
AuthorIT, RoboHelp, and MadCap Flare!! <grin>)

...sue