I've been an STC member for roughly 10 years. I'm still sitting on the fence
about renewing my membership for 2008 - I'm not impressed with the *higher
dues / less value or service* trend. I've never attended their conferences -
too expensive and too far away.

Maybe they need to look at the organization in depth and come to the
realization that they are strictly a US outfit - they appear to have little
to offer international members.

I didn't even get a *paper* renewal notice this year, which adds to my
hesitation to renew. I don't know if I can be bothered hunting down on
online version, printing it, getting it approved, etc.

Just my opinion,

Suzette Leeming
Stouffville, Ontario

> I was an STC member for two years. My input has a shorter focus than many
> long-timers.
>
> There have been deep dues increases that appear to be the result of a
> large drop in membership. The drop in membership has caused a drop in
> service (i.e. the salary survey). In an effort to cover the administrative
> overhead they have raised dues and cut services. Most organizations would
> try to identify why there? was an exodus and tailor their offerings to
> attract more members. By raising the dues on a yearly basis they are pricing
> members out of the rolls and creating an environment where only those who
> work for corporate sponsors are willing to continue to pay these rates.
>
> Most of the offerings for webinars and conferences were overly expensive
> and therefore of little value.
>
> I loved the Lone Writer SIG and appreciated the local chapter meetings
> that I attended occasionally. But, this was not worth the $180 investment
> out of my own pocket. The ROI just wasn't high enough for me to justify more
> time, talent and treasure to STC.
>
> I can still attend the local chapter meetings for a few dollars more than
> the member rate. And it seems like I have found another list serve for the
> online SIG benefits.
>

> I am also a member of my local ASTD chapter. ASTD has a chapter membership
> level with annual dues of $100. I'm sure some of this money is bound for the
> national organization. There is also an International dues structure for
> those who want to belong to the international organization. I think STC will
> have to evaluate a chapter centric approach to the organization and
> restructure accordingly if they want to continue to offer services.
>

> Teresa Trujillo
> Book Workshop/Mighty Designs
> 1501 E. Orangethorpe Avenue
> Suite 130
> Fullerton, California 92831
> Phone (714) 525-0882
> Fax (714) 879-7156
> Cell (714) 926-8343

"What I like to drink most is wine that belongs to others."   - Diogenes

Need affordable web hosting? I recommend 1 & 1 - that's where I'm hosted!
http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=6815038