I was an STC member for two years. My input has a shorter focus than many
long-timers.

There have been deep dues increases that appear to be the result of a large
drop in membership. The drop in membership has caused a drop in service (i.e.
the salary survey). In an effort to cover the administrative overhead they have
raised dues and cut services. Most organizations would try to identify why
there? was an exodus and tailor their offerings to attract more members. By
raising the dues on a yearly basis they are pricing members out of the rolls
and creating an environment where only those who work for corporate sponsors
are willing to continue to pay these rates.

Most of the offerings for webinars and conferences were overly expensive and
therefore of little value.

I loved the Lone Writer SIG and appreciated the local chapter meetings that I
attended occasionally. But, this was not worth the $180 investment out of my
own pocket. The ROI just wasn't high enough for me to justify more time, talent
and treasure to STC.

I can still attend the local chapter meetings for a few dollars more than the
member rate. And it seems like I have found another list serve for the online
SIG benefits.

I am also a member of my local ASTD chapter. ASTD has a chapter membership
level with annual dues of $100. I'm sure some of this money is bound for the
national organization. There is also an International dues structure for those
who want to belong to the international organization. I think STC will have to
evaluate a chapter centric approach to the organization and restructure
accordingly if they want to continue to offer services.

Teresa Trujillo
Book Workshop/Mighty Designs
1501 E. Orangethorpe Avenue
Suite 130