Nathan Hruby wrote [edited]:
> We have a project whereby we'd like to stand up a number of small
> virtual machines that are geographically distributed around the globe.
>  On these we would like to run some small, simple, custom monitoring
[...]
> At this point, we might be willing to engage a number of smaller
> regional providers to get the best deal

A useful resource I've used in the past is the forums at webhostingtalk.
Specifically for your case, check the "VPS Hosting Offers" at
        http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?&f=104
where you can see offers from small shops, and some international
(e.g. server with 512MB RAM @10 EUR/mo in NL).

Goes without saying, beware of support issues -- it might be
useful to check the other forums for reviews.
But for simple stuff like some cases ("just give me a root ssh,
dirt cheap, if company busts, I'll set it up elsewhere"),
it's great!

--
-- zvr --