From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On Behalf Of Tom
Perrine
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:20 PM
To: Nathan Hruby
Cc: LOPSA Tech List
Subject: Re: [lopsa-tech] Recommendations for VPS providers

Nathan Hruby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a project whereby we'd like to stand up a number of small
> virtual machines that are geographically distributed around the globe.
>  On these we would like to run some small, simple, custom monitoring
> scripts on them to give us some very specific performance information.
>  We might be able to use a 3rd party monitoring provider with a
> suitable amount of data manipulation to get their data into our
> format, but franky we have this code in-house already.  Having some
> shells available in far-flung places is an added plus for diagnosis
> runs that makes rolling our own little monitoring solution seem like
> the best option.

At the risk of being accused of being buzzword compliant, have you considered
"cloud"?

AWS (and other providers) have presences in US, EU and APAC.  THere are

I wouldn't run a heavy compute load on a cloud server, but for small to
medium/large services, they can be a win.
You'll get quite a bit of flexibility, but it will be at least slightly more
expensive.

That said, you can get into cloud with nothing more than a credit card, and not
need contracts (and lawyer time).

Just another option.

--tep