On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM,  <cpol...@surewest.net> wrote:
> What's going on over the wire?
> Something wiresharky: Statistcs -> TCP stream graph ->
> throughput graph. Might be revealing.

I was running iftop to get a handle on what's going on over the wire.
Not as in depth as wireshark, but it gives me a graph and a more data
to start with. I ran it on the desktop receiving information from the
FPGA and the data server receiving data from the desktop.

On the desktop:
- FPGA pushes data at a constant 4.76MB/sec, desktop receives that
just fine, no burstiness.
- The desktop seems to push data to nfs at anywhere from the
14.6Mb/sec to 29Mb/sec
- The desktop receives NFS data at about 22.7Mb/sec constant
(sometimes it jumps to 24.7Mb/sec, but its rare)

On the server:
- Server is sending NFS data to desktop at 22.6Mb/sec (I'm not going
to sweat over .01Mb/sec difference)
- Server is receiving NFS data with the same kind of bursts.

It seems like the burstiness continues, but the dropped packet rate
reduces dramatically if the following are set:
/sbin/sysctl net.core.rmem_max=33554432
/sbin/sysctl net.core.wmem_max=33554432
/sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_rmem="4096 87380 33554432"
/sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_wmem="4096 65536 33554432"
/sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save=1

which points to issues with the TCP stack.

Is NFS over UDP worth trying, or am I going to run into similar
things, except not with TCP retransmit but with NFS UDP retrainsmit?