On Sep 23, 2010, at 9:23 PM, Patrick Cable wrote:

> The documentation for this application mentions the following
> particular issues with NFS:
> - NFS can't make FIFOs (which is mitigated by the fact we store FIFOs
> on a local partition)

This is a valid issue.

> - "More important, SOFTWARE uses the mmap() system call on some of
> the files in the output directory, and mmap)( isn't reliable on an NFS
> mounted filesystem" (mitigated by.. I'm not sure, I did some googling
> and that seemed to be fixed in later kernel versions, i.e. *not*
> RHEL3).

Yup.  The mmap() system call on NFS is undefined, which means that Berkeley DB,
and any other software that uses mmap() cannot safely be used on NFS.  This is
supposedly fixed in the latest versions of NFS, but I have yet to have that
claim actually demonstrated to me.

If you need these things, then the solution is to simply not use NFS.  Try a
different network file storage solution that might work better for you --
perhaps iSCSI, so that it looks like a local disk to the machine where the
volume is being mounted?

Of course, what alternatives are available to you (e.g., iSCSI) will depend
entirely on what your options are for the back-end fileserver platform, what
version of what OS it runs, and if you can't get what you want with what you
have today, then what upgrade options you have available to you.

--
Brad Knowles <b...@shub-internet.org>