On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Jonathan Nicol wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2010, at 6:53 PM, da...@lang.hm wrote:
>
>> PSU's can die over time, and there can (and have been) flaws in
>> design or components that will cause similar devices to start
>> failing at around the same timeframe.
>>
>> If I start having them fail on several servers, I accelerate efforts
>> to replace that generation of servers.
>>
>> the most common thing to fail in a PSU are the capacitors, and if
>> the vendor had a bad batch of caps that made it into the power
>> supplies, I would be reluctant to just replace the PSUs and put the
>> systems back into mission-critical use, if those caps are bad, how
>> can I really trust the other caps in the system?
>>
>> I am in the process of doing this with a batch of systems purchased
>> 5-6 years ago.
>>
>> David Lang_______________________________________________
>

> Very true about them failing in batches, but.. the PSUs are almost
> never made by the same manufacturer as the motherboard etc. We had a
> batch of Sparkle PSUs all fail within months of each other, but the
> Supermicro motherboards are still going strong years later..

forwhitebox vendors you are absolutly correct. I wouldn't be as
comforatable making the same bet for companies that have their own boards
made.

And in the case of multi-PSU systems, the switching circuits that combine
the PSUs is a potential problem, and that probably was made by the same
company as the PSU. I ran into a batch of IBM RS6000 systems a couple
years ago that had those boards act up on us. They started reporting that
both power supplies had been turned off (taking the system down)

David Lang