On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Luke S Crawford wrote:

> da...@lang.hm writes:
>
>> I am in the process of doing this with a batch of systems purchased
>> 5-6
>> years ago.
>

> How long do you usually try to keep servers online?   with my cost of hardware
> (lower than usual, as far as I can tell, as I build)  and my cost of
> power (higher than usual, as I am in California)  and my higher than
> average cost to downtime, I'm usually looking to retire old servers
> after about three years, but I don't know if that's the right policy.
>
> Do you usually do it based on the ratio of what you are paying for power
> vs what you pay for a new server?  or do you keep a batch of servers
> online until you start seeing more than a certain amount of failures?
> a mix of both?

I'm in a bit of an odd situation where power costs don't hit me directly,
and I am a smallish part of a very large datacenter, so my power costs are
in the noise anyway.

In theory we are supposed to be replacing them every 3 years, but that's
before the quarterly 'budget crisis' hits and they ask if there is any way
to delay replacements.

I've also been growing pretty continuously, so while in theory I have a 3
year cycle, in practice what I do is far more complicated.

when new projects hit I purchase new servers. I don't go to the bleeding
edge of performance and cost, but I try to go as far as I can to find the
weet spot just before price starts skyrocketing (although, occasionally I
just buy the best server I can because the project needs the performance)

I then look and see if I have anyplace that looks like it's running out of
steam, if so I put the new servers there and take the old servers and use
them for the new project.

With production, DR, QA, testing, Development, and my own lab, there's a
lot of room to cascade things down.

If I start seeing failures, then Ifirst makesure I replace that generation
of equipment in production and then tell management that they won't be
able to delay the purchase any longer

The other push that I have for phasing out the old systems is when there
is a technology change. The last two changes like this were the move to 64
bit system (where I was able to get rid of the lst 30-40 32 bit systems in
the name of easing my workload by not having to maintain different
kernels. I was running 64 bit kernels with 32 bit userspace so it wasn't
complete system images to be maintained) and the move to Gig-E for
everything instead of 100Mb (which eased cabling and eliminated a lot of
driver headaches)

I tend to go with whitebox systems, so as long as I have a vendor who will
supply me with what I ask for, I don't run into many changes that cause
compatibility problems. Other groups in the company go with the name-brand
systems, and with direct head-to-head comparisons of uptimes, I am very
comfortable with what I have been doing, while having faster systems and
spending less than half as much as the other groups.

David Lang