Ok, a few basic questions.

What's the workload?  What portion of the db access is read vs  write? What
portions of write traffic is US west vs other locations?

You also mentioned file access time - could you describe that problem a bit
more?

Basically, if you've got a reasonably normal CMS, much of the traffic is read.
You've already got asiapac datacenter space,  so some replication techniques
may be able to get big wins.  Mysql slaves, prepositioning files via sync or
CDN, some global load balancing tricks...

Cloud won't help- you've already got 2 sites, and aren't utilizing them.

You'll need to look at these techs with the cloud, you might as well start
there...

Matthew

Sent from my iPad