On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 04:47:26PM +0200, Gilles Chehade wrote:
> Dear tech@,
>
> eric@ has written an (awesome :p) asynchronous resolver that allows us to do
> non-blocking DNS lookups.
>
> As of today, smtpd implements non-blocking lookups through a fork+imsg hack,
> creating a socketpair() and a new process for each lookup. It kind of worked
> ok but recently a bug report exposed that it was not the case under load.
>
> With lots of help from eric@ and his (did I mention awesome ?) resolver, the
> fork+imsg hack is gone and smtpd can now do non-blocking lookups in lka. The
> bonus is that while at it I spotted a bug that was introduced with the hack,
> which caused some "relay via" to be handled as "relay" rules.
>
> A tarball to test:  http://www.poolp.org/~gilles/smtpd-asyncdns.tar.gz
>
> This is smtpd-current, queue is unchanged, please test as it is experimental
> code. I will run it for a few days and commit if I see no drawbacks and I do
> not receive mails saying it breaks a working setup.
>
> more features to come soon ;-)

Hi tech@,

A new tarball has been uploaded yesterday, it contains the fixes eric@ wrote
for the issues reported on asr.

For now, only two issues have been reported on smtpd:

1- smtpd does not catch up changes to /etc/resolv.conf;
2- smtpd does not look ip AAAA records;

I will not have internet access until Monday but 1- should be fixed by then
and I'll fix 2- and republish a tarball to test before I commit to the tree

If you ran into another issue, please let me know

Gilles

--
Gilles Chehade