On 07/16/12 14:54, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2012/07/15 19:00, Paul Irofti wrote:
On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 05:40:03PM +0200, David Coppa wrote:
Il giorno 15/lug/2012 16:56, "Paul Irofti" <p...@irofti.net> ha scritto:

Unfortunately, I have no clue where to go from there. I'd like to
connect to vodafone in Germany via UMTS, but I didn't find a
/etc/ppp/peers/ and a corresponding chat script configuration in the
archives which works for me.

Is anybody else using a similar setup?

I tried the same with Vodafone RO for quite a few months two years ago.
Bottom line is it doesn't work.

I had the same problems two years ago. Tried to make the config work
with Vodafone RO and failed miserably. I can firmly say that those were
two months that I lost in vain.

What I would recommand is to stop wasting time now and only use that
modem on Windows with the applications provided by Vodafone.

Why?

I've used the setup described below with Vodafone Italia without problems
for years:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=128816834527997&w=2

That script didn't work for me. Couldn't authentificate.

Maybe it will work for Germany.

The PPP session is with the adapter, not the provider. You usually want
to disable anything "clever" as they rarely cope with this correctly.
It shouldn't make a difference which country if it's the same
adapter and firmware.

For a different huawei card I'm using this in /etc/ppp/peers/3g

debug
/dev/cuaU0
921600
0.0.0.0:10.99.1.2
defaultroute
noipdefault
user x
crtscts
persist
deflate 0
refuse-pap
refuse-chap
noauth
noipdefault
noccp
novj
novjccomp
nopcomp
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/peers/3g.chat'

and this in /etc/ppp/peers/3g.chat

TIMEOUT 120
ABORT "BUSY"
ABORT "ERROR"
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "VOICE"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
"" ATZ
OK ATD*99#
CONNECT \c

and in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets (possibly unused)

# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
x               *       blah                    *

I already have the phone provider's APN programmed into context 1
so I can just use ATD*99# and skip the AT+CGDCONT line, or you can
set it yourself like in dcoppa's post.

If the APN isn't already setup and you aren't certain about which
one to use, then it's probably useful to connect with the provider's
normal software on a Windows/MacOS machine and close the connection,
then open a terminal to the serial port of the device (putty can
do serial if you're on a newer version of Windows with no built-in
terminal software) and type "AT+CGDCONT?" to see how the contexts
are setup.

Thanks a lot -- it basically works!

# cat /etc/ppp/peers/vodafone
debug
/dev/cuaU0
921600
0.0.0.0:10.99.1.2
defaultroute
noipdefault
user web
crtscts
persist
deflate 0
refuse-pap
refuse-chap
noauth
noipdefault
noccp
novj
novjccomp
nopcomp
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/vodafone.chat'

# cat /etc/ppp/vodafone.chat
TIMEOUT 120
ABORT "BUSY"
ABORT "ERROR"
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "VOICE"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
"" ATZ
OK 'AT+CPIN="1234"'
OK 'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.vodafone.de"'
OK ATD*99#
CONNECT \c

# cat /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
#       $OpenBSD: pap-secrets,v 1.3 2002/06/09 06:15:15 todd Exp $

# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
"web"         *       "web"

commands for dialing in:
# ifconfig ppp0 create
# pppd file /etc/ppp/peers/vodafone

I get an IP and a default route. I can also ping/connect to remote hosts.

From /var/log/messages:
Jul 16 19:52:36 obsd pppd[19227]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cuaU0
Jul 16 19:52:36 obsd pppd[19227]: Received bad configure-ack:
Jul 16 19:52:40 obsd pppd[19227]: Received bad configure-ack:
Jul 16 19:52:42 obsd pppd[19227]: local  IP address 109.43.234.229
Jul 16 19:52:42 obsd pppd[19227]: remote IP address 10.99.1.2

Any ideas what's causing the "bad configure-acks"?

Is there a way to automatically receive a DNS resolver config for /etc/resolv.conf from the mobile ISP? (currently I use the DNS resolver at my local network...)

Best Regards
Andreas