Hi,
then to explain my draft here is my own configuration, and why it could
be useful to set custom priorities:

   OSPF Scheme:
    | - RT1 - |           | - RT3
WAN |         | OSPF AREA |
    | - RT2 - |           | - RT4

   RIP Scheme:
    | - RT1 - |
WAN |         | RIP AREA | - CISCO 45XX
    | - RT2 - |

   BGP Scheme:
    | - RT1
WAN |
    | - RT2

A first problem is my BGP default route, which was redistributed over
OSPF, causes a looping route between RT1 and RT2 for outgoing packets
(to WAN), because OSPF is prior on BGP.

A second problem is routes obtained by RIP and redistributed over OSPF
(by a custom patch which add redistribution of RIP routes to ospfd) has
the same problem because OSPF is prior on RIP (i need to redistribute
those RIP routes because the routes are distributed to remote networks
over an GRE+IPSec link).

Without the possibility to change the priorities (and dynamically is
better than recompile the kernel and change constant values, it would be
a great function to everybody want), it's impossible to solve this
routing loop (i have patched ospfd to refuse adding some specific routes
from specific hosts but it's not a proper solution, whereas it
worked...).

--
Best regards,
Loïc BLOT,