On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 06:53:08PM +0200, Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas wrote:
| > | What's a regular OpenBSD host with no IPv6?  I'd assume that it is
| > | a host that can perform IPv6 connections to ::1 / localhost and reach
| > | its neighbors through link-local addresses.
| >
| > Why would you expect to be able to reach your neighbors through
| > link-local addresses if you have "no IPv6" (which I take to mean 'no
| > *configured* IPv6', please correct me if I'm wrong here)?
|
| I don't make a big difference between automatically or "manually"
| configured addresses.  They're here and supposed to be usable for
| whatever purpose, limited only by their intrinsic limitations.

I'm not referring to SLAAC.  I'm referring to addresses that are
configured on interfaces without the user even requesting them.
link-local addresses, specifically.  Bring up an interface and you
have IPv6.  Accessible (and attackable) by everyone on the local
network (i.e., not firewalled by default).  Why do you expect this to
work without specific configuration (either setting up a static
address, configuring SLAAC, by using DHCPv6, or whatever means)?

| > I believe your expectation here is wrong (although it is the current
| > state of IPv6 on OpenBSD).  Can you explain why you disagree?
|
| Not really, I'm puzzled by your question.  It works and has always
| worked but I shouldn't expect them to work...

I'm puzzled by the fact it has always been this way in OpenBSD.  It
goes against the OpenBSD philosophy.  I'll try to rephrase the
question:

        Why do you expect that you are accessible on IPv6
        when you configure an interface with IPv4?  You
        don't expect to get IPv4 connectivity when you
        configure IPv6, do you?

I hope this question is less puzzling, apologies if that's still not
the case.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/