>> * Mark Kettenis <mark.kette...@xs4all.nl> [2014-05-15 00:15]:
>>> I don't think this is a good idea; didn't we establish the other day
>>> that "ifconfig <if> eui64" already did what your +inet6 does?
>>
>> almost, it's ifconfig <if> inet6 eui64 - but that isn't all THAT
>> intuitive. I like +inet6 as the opposite of -inet6.

I am rather late to the conversation.

>We don't have "+" something. It is foo or -foo but not +foo. I know
>that inet6 is already used for the regular addresses, but +inet6
>sounds like an inconsistent workaround for a workaround. I don't like
>it.

I agree.

>To "enable IPv6" link-local I would rather prefer two options to put
>either "inet6 eui64" (or an alias like "inet6 link-local") or an
>actual inet6 address in your hostname.if. The latter should
>automatically remove the flag and enable the link-local address - does
>it work this way?

I also agree.  I do not like the word 'link-local', because it implies L2.
What we are removing here is wire-local access via L3.  I'd prefer to avoid
the word "local" if we can...

There is also a third path.  That is to change the behaviour of
'ifconfig if proto', or more specifically of 'ifconfig if inet6'.
But this will assuredly break someone's scripts...