Penned by Henning Brauer on 20140516  0:26.37, we have:
| * Claudio Jeker <cje...@diehard.n-r-g.com> [2014-05-15 09:33]:
| > On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:29:20PM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
| > > so as discussed recently having the inet6 link-local addrs on every
| > > interface by default is stupid and a security risk.
| > >
| > > this diff fixes that. well, really two independent parts.
| > > one: set the NOINET6 flag by default on each and every interface.
| > > two: implement "ifconfig <if> +inet6" to turn inet6 on and assign
| > > the link-local addr.
| > >
| > > this should be transparent for almost all real use cases of inet6
| > > since assigning any inet6 address also resets the flag (and ll is
| > > assigned then as well).
| > > lo0 still gets it's ::1 and fe80::1%lo0 by default.
| > >
| > > the only use case that needs config adoption: people ONLY using
| > > link-local, they will need to put +inet6 in the corresponding
| > > hostname.if file.
| > >
| > > ok?
| >
| > To be honest the right fix would be to get rid of IFXF_NOINET6 and
| > just make it the default. There is no need for such a flag anymore.
|
| very valid point, I'll happily clean that up right after - one thing
| at a time.

When I travel between networks.. at home with rtsol capable networks ..
and at e.g. a library that does not have native IPv6 .. I find it invaluable
to 'zzz' then upon resume 'ifconfig wpi0 -inet6' for the library and then
'rtsol wpi0' at home.

Just because the new default will be the equivalent of 'ifconfig wpi0 -inet6'
until configured doesn't mean there isn't a use for clearing it later on as
well.

I wish there were an equivalent for IPv4, but at least dhclient clears the old
address on 'ifconfig wpi0 down' ...

Thanks,
--
Todd T. Fries . http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt . @unix2mars . github:toddfries