On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 02:58:04AM -0500, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
| On Sun, 2014-07-13 at 01:38 -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
| > With your attitude, I beg you to please go run some other
| > operating system.
|
| The plan is when the first Bitrig release comes out, I'm done and switch
| to that. The donations I was going to make to your project later this
| year? Not anymore. They are either going to Bitrig, or maybe some even
| to the FSF. Oh, the latter I would love to do especially since you keep
| trashing Richard Stallman every chance you get, even after the FSF gave
| you an award. (Did they ever ask for that award back? The FSF is run by
| a lot of nice people. Maybe they are too nice to have asked for you to
| return the award, but they should have. The lack of gratitude shown by
| your ridicule of RMS after getting it is just plain atrocious and casts
| a black eye on the "open source" movement you claim to be part of.)
|
| By the way, you would not have had BSD source code to hack on without
| the efforts of RMS. Think about that next time before you insult him.
| Show a little fucking gratitude for a change.

And you show your gratitude for the free software that you use by
telling the people that wrote it how to behave and making demands from
them?

Should OpenBSD keep lynx as it is because you and maybe a handful of
others want it to stay that way?  Some (extremely small) subset of
users get to decide how things are?

I believe the answer to the last question should be yes: but I don't
think you are in that subset.  The people maintaining OpenBSD get to
maintain it.  You get to use it.  You choose to complain, they choose
to ignore or ridicule you.

| Until then, I'm going to keep a close eye on changes
| under /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/lynx and undo them on my own system if it
| disables useful functionality. It's just outrageous I have to do this to
| keep things like gopher support.

Why is that outrageous?!  Is it really outrageous that you get all the
stuff you need to turn this into exactly what you want for free?
Including, in this case, advance notification?  Should Theo come to
your house and do a little song and dance for you too?

This is Open Source Software.  You've stated it loud enough.

| BTW, I still want to see an actual exploit. None of this "the code looks
| shitty" vagueness. Look hard enough, you'll find code that looks shitty
| everywhere.

Why do you want to see an actual exploit?  Do you want to see an
actual exploit for changes that have gone into any other part of the
tree?  Ted (and others, I'm singling out Ted as he's become the
personification of deleting stuff) has been deleting lots of arcane
stuff from the tree; why are you not demanding things like fsplit are
brought back, asking where exploits are?

I know why not: you are not a fortran user.  You don't use fsplit.
You, and a few others, have stated you still use lynx with gopher
and/or other protocols.  Great: submit a port and use that.  It's
perfectly OK to actually participate in the development with
submitting changes instead of getting all worked up when things don't
happen the way you want them to.

Things in OpenBSD have changed a lot since I started using it, and not
always to my liking.  I just deal with it.  Why can't you?  Why does
anybody in OpenBSD owe you anything?  Where does your sense of
entitlement stem from?

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/