On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 02:20:38PM -0400, Bryan Steele wrote:

> > -   if (strlcpy(salt, bcrypt_gensalt(8), sizeof(salt)) >= sizeof(salt))
> > -           errx(1, "salt too long");
> > -   if (strlcpy(hash, bcrypt(pass, salt), sizeof(hash)) >= sizeof(hash))
> > -           errx(1, "hash too long");
> > +   if (crypt_newhash(pass, "bcrypt,8", hash, sizeof(hash)) != 0)
> > +           err(1, "can't generate hash");
> >     explicit_bzero(pass, sizeof(pass));
> >
> >     if (file == NULL)
>
> It should be possible to use the automatic rouds, i.e: "bcrypt,a" instead
> of just hardcoding 8.

I wasn't sure about introducing that change, went the minimal changes from
existing behavior.

The only thing against using automatic rounds would be having them guessed on a
weaker machine and used on a more powerful server - doubt though that would ever
pick something below 8 rounds.

Roughly, if the general consensus is to move to automatic rounds then I'm all
for it.

Side note, does anyone know why crypt_newhash defaults to blowfish? The
docs don't mention it.