Michal Mazurek wrote:
> Yes, the function seems a bit inconsistent, in that "bcrypt" means "bcrypt,a"
> but NULL means "bcrypt,8". awolk@ points out that the function is used in
> just a few places - src and some ports patches, so we should be able to
> change it. Judging by the commit message the author was aware of this
> discrepancy though, and marked is as "for now", so let's see what others say.

this was complicated because it's trying to unify several different programs
and everybody has their own idea of what the default should be. so it tries to
squeeze in some useful behaviors without changing everything about how all the
calling programs behave. at least now we're in a situation where we should be
able to discuss changing one program at a time.