On 20:49:05,  6.06.17, Jason McIntyre wrote:
> right now this man page suggests that people will use "bcrypt,a"
> to "automatically suggest rounds based on system performance". is
> that right? i'd have expected people to just use "bcrypt" (w/o
> args). in fact, why have "a" at all? why not just have the default
> as automatically selecting rounds, but you can optionally specify
> an amount of rounds?
>
> sorry, i know that's not really the main concern of your diff. it just
> seems a bit weird, and that reflects in the way you're having to word
> this.

Yes, the function seems a bit inconsistent, in that "bcrypt" means "bcrypt,a"
but NULL means "bcrypt,8". awolk@ points out that the function is used in
just a few places - src and some ports patches, so we should be able to
change it. Judging by the commit message the author was aware of this
discrepancy though, and marked is as "for now", so let's see what others say.

--
Michal Mazurek