Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2019/02/23 18:02, Ted Unangst wrote:
> > signify -z adds a date= line to the header, but nothing reads it. It's also
> > not very useful, since it's outside the signature. It would still not be
> > useful, because nothing about the signify design cares about when something
> > was signed. It does cause trouble, however, because signing the same thing
> > twice results in two different files. Normal signify operation produces
> > consistent signatures.
>
> pkg_add reads this header and copies to the @digital-signature line
> in the +CONTENTS file. It is directly user visible too, for the "always
> updated" quirks package, the @digital-signature line is read and displayed:

I was trying to find such code, but obviously failed.

> I'm not sure what you mean "outside the signature", changing the
> date string does cause validation to fail, so it must be covered by
> the signature?

Ah, it is. Never mind then.

The context is that some people are trying to use signify in a determinisitic
reproducible way, and the dates keep changing. At first this looked like an
unnecessary addition, but if we're using it, then that's how things are.