On Thu, 2021-04-01 at 10:39 +0300, Lauri Tirkkonen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01 2021 09:30:36 +0200, Martijn van Duren wrote:
> > However, based on the description by the Unicode Consortium I think
> > OpenBSD does the right thing and xterm and others should be fixed,
>
> practically, I doubt this will happen. I don't think the glibc people will be
> convinced to break compatibility to their older versions, for example. I
> explicitly mentioned I don't wish to engage in a discussion about which way is
> _correct_ - I am interested in interoperability with real, existing systems.

I´m not convinced that you´ve shown that it´s actually an
interoperability issue. In your last mail you state that it´s a simple
display difference between tmux and raw xterm on OpenBSD. To me that´s
similar to most linux distro´s having grep being an alias for
grep --color=auto by default and stating that we should do the same
because you like pretty colours. What applications fail to operate or
operate in an severely erroneous way because of this discrepency?

I´m also not convinced that the other wcwidth implementations might be
on to something and that the unicode consortium is having inertia
problems. In my previous mail I quoted on what linguistic constructs
the character is based and that it is invisible. To stick with their
example: I write "opaatje" or "opa-" LF "tje", not "opaa-tje".

If you want to show a hyphen in your text, use a hyphen. If you want to
indicate where a word might be broken up in a hyphenated way across two
lines if the software knows the localized grammar rules use a SHY.
Also thanks to sthen@ for pointing out where the confusion comes from:
we´re using UTF-8 here, not ISO-8859-1, so we must make sure that we
use the UTF-8 definitions.

martijn@