So, your argument is that displays should remain broken forever.

> The bug in NetBSD and Linux should be fixed, but that's off-topic here.

If you cannot explain how this problem is going to be fixed (reversed)
in these opposing ecosystems (and it is not just Linux and NetBSD), then
you've closed the argument with a cop-out.

It cannot be off-topic.

It is an interop problem which must be settled.

>From time to time, defacto standards arise which have inertia that
is too great to fight.

Your position seems to me that original standard are etched in stone and
it is impossible to have new defacto standards arise, and if interop
issues arrive, screw everyone -- can't they see there is a stone?

The position statement translates simply to: It must remain broken.