Chris Narkiewicz <he...@ezaquarii.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2023-10-17 at 16:22 -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>> What will come of this discussion of opinions?
>
> If it's doable and the code quality is acceptable, I see 2 outcomes:
> 1. I could start looking for sponsorship, as I feel like my level of
> expertise is too limited to chew it myself
> 2. perhaps with a right guidance I could try to bite it myself (not so
> sure about it, but keen on finding out).
>
> I'm trying to contact the author atm to discuss his position and his
> plans regarding the code so see if there is any alignment.
>
> Week ago, he added a disclaimer in the readme that he plans shift his
> focus when FreeBSD write support is stabilized. If there is a limited
> window of opportunity, I thought it's worth looking at it while there
> is active interest.
>
> TBH, I don't know what would it take. The patch looks minimal, but I
> suspect it's just tip of the iceberg and I lack the knowledge to
> estimate how big the underwater part is. Especially the cost of
> maintenance. Therefore, I decided to reach out to tech, kindly asking
> about devs opinion or technical expertise on that matter.

Pointing to a repository with a diff against an old tree is minimally
interesting. If you report that you tested it and detail the outcome,
the level of interest may rise to the point that somebody else might
try. You can substantially increase the chances by forward-porting the
change to -current and testing it.

Thanks
Greg