Hi,

On 21/10/09 19:41, Travis Basevi wrote:
> Intriguing, I do so:
>
>  > perl -MTemplate -le 'Template->new->process(\q[[% 1 + "" %]])'
> Argument "" isn't numeric in addition (+) at input text line 1.
> 1
>
> What could I be missing (or not)?

That seems like a reasonable warning to me. An empty string isn't
numeric after all.

This is a perl problem, not a TT problem:

sim...@defiant:~$ perl -wle 'print 1 + ""'
Argument "" isn't numeric in addition (+) at -e line 1.
1

I get the same result in 5.10.0 on lenny, 5.8.8 on etch and 5.8.8 on my
Mac Leopard.

Having said that, if it wasn't doing that on 2.14 and is now on 2.19,
perhaps it is a regression in TT or one of it's supporting modules...

OK, so I *DON'T* get this with TT 2.19 on perl 5.8.8 on etch so it
doesn't look like it's directly a problem with TT but I definitely do
get it with the perl one liner as above.

Therefore I conclude that it's not directly a TT issue but something
that has changed in one of the modules shipped with lenny, or pulled in
from cpan when you installed TT.

I suspect that what you will have to do is fix your code so that you're
not allow template authors to compare numeric and non-numeric, or
suppress the warning with 'no warnings qw/numeric/;' in the appropriate
place (I think, see perllexwarn) or find the module that's changed and
persuade the maintainer to change its behaviour.

Alternatively, if you think this something that TT itself should deal
with, I'd suggest raising a bug/request in the cpan RT system
(http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=Template-Toolkit).
Ideally you should supply a test case that can be added to the
test suite.

Hope this helps,

Simon.