Vicky,

I may be able to convert your local-minima code to OpenCV code; can you send
me the result files as well as the filter?

I wrote some Python code that uses OpenCV to crop the headstone images to
show just the stone.  Its not perfect, but it works OK.  The Hough algorithm
and the other corner-detection algorithms weren't working at all for me.  So
I just thresholded based on the average saturation value, row-by-row,
column-by-column, to find a rectangle that was saturated enough.  Then crop
to that rectangle.  Overly simple and dumb; however, it does somewhat work,
whereas the other algorithms just gave me insane corners and didn't detect
the headstone at all.

Reference images:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~janderse/cemeteries/Star%20of%20David%20Memorial%20Gardens/Garden%20of%20Haifa/

Thanks!!