On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Wout Bittremieux <bittremi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to successfully build Tesseract revision 684 using the procedure
> you outlined in your documentation.
>
> If you recall correctly, last week I had some problems using Tesseract and
> Leptonica in Visual Studio 2010. I built Tesseract in particular using
> Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. The build procedure was successful and I
> was able to use the libraries generated by all four build configurations in
> your APITest project. However, strangely enough, I was only able to use the
> dynamic libraries (debug and release) in my Visual Studio 2010 project (of
> course when keeping in mind the correct procedure for freeing up the memory
> allocated by these libraries). However, strangely enough, using the static
> libraries resulted in several 'unresolved external symbol' errors.

Glad to hear you were able to correctly build using VC++2008 Express,
That is a bit strange, but you'd have tell me what "unresolved
external symbol" errors you are seeing for me to comment further.

> Furthermore, I tried to build Tesseract using Visual Studio 2010 as well.
> Converting the solution from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2010 is
> relatively straight-forward, no significant errors were experienced.

Great.

> The
> only thing I had to adjust was the post-build event that copied the library
> to BuildFolder\lib because the semantics the $(TargetPath) have been changed
> in Visual Studio 2010. After I adjusted these events, building Tesseract in
> Visual Studio 2010 was simply a matter of following your guidelines.

Hmmmm. I'll have to see if the VS2008 project can be adjusted to avoid
this. This error doesn't appear when converting leptonica, so maybe I
botched something.

> Using the libaries built in Visual Studio 2010, I was able to successfully
> include the two release libraries (static and dynamic) in my own project.
> The two debug versions do not work on a machine without Visual Studio 2008
> because of the absence of MSVCR90D.DLL, as was expected.

Are you saying that even after installing VC++2008 Express Edition,
you still didn't have access to the MSVCR90D.DLL? I would have thought
(as I mentioned in my reply to your other post), that installing
VC++2008EE would fix your problem. On the other hand, from what I saw
while researching your earlier question, I gather that all sorts of
slightly weird edge cases can disable debugging:

+ installing VC++2008EE in the wrong order, along with VS

+ or not also installing the Service Packs in the right order

+ or strangely having your project reside on a network drive rather
than a local drive

+ turning on incremental linking (it works if people turn off
incremental linking?)

+ generating a manifest

See
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/8f08777b-1c4d-4e10-89a2-f7bc95cf5e98/
for a really strange thread wherein people mention the problems
they've seen and the weird solutions they've come up with.